- About FPST
- Graduate Program
Wang, Qingsheng, PhD, PE, CSP
Dr. Sam Wang is an Associate Professor of Fire Protection & Safety Engineering Technology and Graduate Faculty of Chemical Engineering at OSU. He is the first holder of Dale F. Janes Endowed Professorship. He received his BS and MS degrees in Chemistry with Honors from Zhejiang University. He also received his PhD degree in Chemical Engineering from Texas A&M University with an emphasis in process safety engineering. He is a registered professional engineer and certified safety professional.
Dr. Wang has worked for Shell as a Technical Safety Engineer in Houston. During his stay at the MKO Process Safety Center at Teaxs A&M, he has been exposed to a variety of industrial projects with Dow Chemical, BP, ExxonMobil etc in TEEX Brayton Fire Training Field. During his tenure at OSU, he was named 2012 Big 12 Faculty Fellow and received 2015 Halliburton Outstanding Young Faculty Award. Professor Wang is a member of the NFPA, AIChE, ASSE, NSC, and ASEE.
Dr. Wang is the author of 65 referred journal papers, 20 proceedings, 3 book chapters, and 72 technical presentations. He is the Editor of ASSE JSHER, Associate Editor of Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, and on the Editorial Board for 4 journals and the invited reviewer for over 25 journals. Dr. Wang has been the session chair/co-chair of Global Congress on Process Safety since 2011. Dr. Wang is currently leading a research group including 4 PhD, 2 MS and 3 visiting scholars. He has received funding from the NSF, NRC, NIOSH, Big 12 Faculty Fellowship, Fire Protection Research Foundation and ASSE Foundation. His research is in process safety, focusing on flame retardants, thermal analysis, fire suppression and risk analysis.
Recent Referred Journal Papers (Total 65 with over 500 citations)
- Y. Wang, K. Xu, B. Wang, Q. Wang*, “Hydrogen Inhibition in the Wet Dust Removal System for the Treatment of Aluminum Dust”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2017, accepted. (IF=3.7)
- K. Cen, T. Yao, Q. Wang*, S. Xiong, “A risk-based methodology for the optimal placement of hazardous gas detectors”, Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2017, accepted.
- J. Chen, J. Wang, B. Wang, Q. Wang*, “An experimental study of visibility effects on evacuation speed on stairs”, Fire Safety Journal, 2017, accepted.
- Y. Jiang, Y. Pan, J. Guan, J. Yao, J. Jiang, Q. Wang*, “Experimental studies on flammability characteristics of superfine polystyrene powders”, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2017, in press.
- J. Lan, J. Jiang*, Y. Pan, Z. Dou, Q. Wang*, “Experimental measurements and numerical calculation of auto-ignition temperatures for binary miscible liquid mixtures”, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2018, 113, 22-29. (IF=2.9)
- K. Cen, B. Song, Y. Huang, Q. Wang*, “CFD simulations to study parameters affecting gas explosion venting in compressor compartments”, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2017, 2017, Article ID 1090561.
- B. Wang, L. Zhou, K. Xu, Q. Wang*, “Fast prediction of minimum ignition energy from molecular structure using simple QSPR models”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 2017, 50, 290-294.
- W. Wang, K. Shen, B. Wang, F. Khan, Q. Wang*, “Failure probability analysis of the urban buried gas pipelines using Bayesian networks”, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2017, 111, 678-686. (IF=2.9)
- L. Zhou, B. Wang, J. Jiang, Y. Pan, Q. Wang*, “Predicting the gas-liquid critical temperature of binary mixtures based on the quantitative structure property relationship”, Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 2017, 167, 190-195.
- L. Zhou, B. Wang, J. Jiang, Y. Pan, Q. Wang*, “Quantitative Structure-Property Relationship (QSPR) Study for Predicting Gas-Liquid Critical Temperatures of Organic Compounds”, Thermochimica Acta, 2017, 655, 112-116.
- B. Wang, L. Zhou, K. Xu, Q. Wang*, “Prediction of Minimum Ignition Energy from Molecular Structure Using Quantitative Structure-Property Relationship (QSPR) Models”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2017, 56(1), 47-51. (Featured by Advances in Engineering on April 29, 2017)
- R. Shen, L. C. Hatanaka, L. Ahmed, R. J. Agnew, M. S. Mannan, Q. Wang*, “Cone calorimeter analysis of flame retardant poly(methyl methacrylate)-silica nanocomposites”, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2017, 128(3), 1443-1451.
- L. C. Hatanaka, Q. Wang, Z. Cheng, M. S. Mannan*, “Effect of trimethylolpropane triacrylate cross-linkages on the thermal stability and char yield of poly (methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites”, Fire Safety Journal, 2017, 87, 65-70.
- B. Wang, H. Yi, K. Xu, Q. Wang*, “Prediction of the self-accelerating decomposition temperature of organic peroxides using QSPR models”, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2017, 128(1), 399-406.
- L. C. Hatanaka, A. Diaz, Q. Wang, Z. Cheng, M. S. Mannan*, “Thermal stability of optically transparent alpha-zirconium phosphate/poly (methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites with high particle loading”, Polymers & Polymer Composites, 2017, 25(4), 267-272.
- P. Joshi, P. Bikini, Q. Wang*, “Consequence analysis of accidental release of supercritical carbon dioxide from high pressure pipelines”, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 2016, 55, 166-176. (IF=4.0)
- Z. Wang, W. Wang, Q. Wang*, “Optimization of Water Mist Droplet Size by Using CFD Modeling for Fire Suppressions”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 2016, 44, 626-632.
- A. Narayan, B. Wang, I. Medina, Z. Cheng, M. S. Mannan, Q. Wang*, “Prediction of Heat of Formation for Exo-Dicyclopentadiene”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 2016, 44, 433-439.
- L. C. Hatanaka, L. Ahmed, S. Sachdeva, Q. Wang, Z. Cheng, M. S. Mannan*, “Thermal degradation and flammability of nanocomposites composed of silica cross-linked to poly(methyl methacrylate)”, Plastics, Rubber and Composites: Macromolecular Engineering, 2016, 45(9), 375-381.
- Z. Wang, P. Wilson, Q. Wang*, “Evacuation Simulation of Confined Spaces in Petrochemical Facilities”, Process Safety Progress, 2016, 35(3), 270-275.
- R. J. Patel, Q. Wang*, “Prediction of Properties and Modeling Fire Behavior of Polyethylene using Cone Calorimeter”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 2016, 41, 411-418.
- W. Wang, C. Wang, J. Yi, Q. Wang*, “A Mathematical Model of Crevice Corrosion for Buried Pipeline with Disbonded Coatings under Cathodic Protection”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 2016, 41, 270-281.